Sunday, January 16, 2011

SONNET 29 by William Shakespeare

For the next poem I am going to paraphrase, I choose to do one of Shakespeare most famous Sonnet which is Sonnet 29

First, here is the poem in text
SONNET 29 by William Shakespeare

When, in disgrace with Fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,

Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;

Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising
Haply I think on thee: and then my state,
Like to the Lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate

For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings

(source, For Better, For Verse)

 PARAPHRASED!

Stanza 1
At a quick glance it seems that the poet is focusing on his misfortune. The poet is sad that people look at him poorly because he is not wealthy nor good-looking. He mention that he would spend time weeping and cursing over his miserable life.

Stanza 2
Then the poet start to mind his surrounding and wishing that he would be like some of the man around him. Man who are rich with lots of friends, so that he would be treated differently and that he would enjoy every moment if it happen

Stanza 3
In stanza 3, the author snaps from his daydream and despised himself. Then, he remembered his partner and his own self. He appreciated how much he can still count on the one he loves most.

Stanza 4
Finally, the poet still hates his condition and he wish to be able to change himself with the king

FINAL SAY
In my opinion, this sonnet is not one of Shakespear's best but it still delivers in giving the message that love is blind. This is because the poet speaks of himself badly but his lover still sticks with him while ignoring everything about him

If youre not satisfied by my paraphrasing of this poem, please leave a comment and say how you think it should be done.
THANK YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment