Thursday, January 20, 2011

SONNET 138 by William Shakespeare

For this post i've decided to do another famous sonnet by Shakespeare but shifting from the theme on self-pity to unfaithfulness.



SONNET 138 by William Shakespeare

When my love swears that she is made of truth

I do believe her, though I know she lies,
That she might think me some untutor'd youth,
Unlearned in the world's false subtleties.
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
Although she knows my days are past the best,
Simply I credit her false speaking tongue:
On both sides thus is simple truth suppress'd.
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
O, love's best habit is in seeming trust,
And age in love loves not to have years told:
Therefore I lie with her and she with me,
And in our faults by lies we flatter'd be.


(source, Shakespeare Online)
PARAPHRASED!

The poet starts of his sonnet by mentioning his lover swearing of her love for him followed by the second stanza that mentions how the poet belives her though he knew she lied. (perhaps the poet still cannot accept the fact that she is unfaithful). 
Then the poet revealed that he is not some teenagers that can fall for lies like that. The poet describe himself as 'past his best' which could mean that he is actually quite old.
He praised his lover for believeng that she can lie to him and question himself whether or not she deserves to do so. With his insecurity over his age and love acting as a disguise to her unfaithfulness. The poet does not want to question the age difference between him and his lover. 
Thus the lies that they told each other help in maintaining their relationship as it canceled out any imperfection they both have.

FINAL SAY
I believe that the poet focus on the point of view of someone who is cheated on and how age is a disturbing factor when it comes to relationships.

If youre not satisfied by my paraphrasing of this poem, please leave a comment and say how you think it should be done.
THANK YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment